As a leader, you may sometimes experience having a team member that negatively impacts the rest of the team because they are demonstrating lack of responsibility.
What causes lack of responsibility?
– Fear of failure
– Lack of Confidence
– Lack of motivation
– Fear of letting others down
– Fear of feeling overwhelmed
What are the warning signs?
– Placing blame on others
– Missing deadlines
– Lack of interest in their work, and the well-being of the team
– Avoiding taking initiative
– Lack of trust in other team members and leaders
– Making excuses regularly
How can you encourage accountability?
- COMMUNICATE: Have direct conversations about your concerns, and make sure everyone clearly knows their job roles and responsibilities.
- LEAD BY EXAMPLE: Take responsibility for your own actions, show pride in your work, and re-engage your team.
- HELP PEOPLE TAKE CONTROL: Build their self-confidence, teach them how to think positively, and eliminate negative self-talk.
Use these tips to remind your team how important accountability and responsibility are, and help get your people back on the path to success.