Do you ever feel like there is just not enough time in the day to accomplish everything you set out to do? Do you feel run down and overwhelmed by your daily tasks? This can cause you to feel like you’ve lost control, and you’re not sure how to get it back.
It’s easy to fall into a habit of letting your day run you, instead of you running your day. Something as simple as poor time management can get us there quickly. We want to share some simple tips to get you back on track by managing your time more effectively. You’ve got to take time to save time.
Tips for effective time management:
1. Keep an organized “To-Do” list.
– By keeping a daily/weekly/monthly “to-do” list, you reduce the risk of letting a task drop off your radar. This also allows you to prioritize more effectively.
2. Set (S.M.A.R.T.) Goals
– Giving your tasks “by-when” dates, and setting s.m.a.r.t. goals (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time bound) will allow you to see the path to success more clearly.
– Now that you have by-when dates and goals, you can put your tasks in order from most important to least important. This will allow you to focus on immediate tasks, rather than all of them (for this can be overwhelming)
4. Manage Distractions
– Wait to read emails, answer calls (when possible), and speak to team members until you’re finished the your current task. Waiting to do these things in between tasks will allow you to stay on track.
5. Time Block
– Set aside specific times throughout the day to complete tasks. Let your team know you have blocked out that time to help avoid interruptions.
– Sometimes, a little delegation is the most effective way to save some time. Evaluate your tasks, and delegate those where your time is least valuable.
So now it’s up to you to spend time where you are most valuable to your organization. You will be able to do this if you are managing your time effectively.